Monday, August 9, 2010

First fruits- well, almost

It is exciting to check out the "garden" and find treasures. Above is red cabbage. The head is formed and soon to be picked. Isn't that a pretty plant? I am thankful to be able to eat fresh vegetables and fruit. Yummm.
Look at this Tomatoes (finally) the yellow is actually a zuchini- I've never seen a yellow zucchini before. We thought we only had one zucchini plant- looks like we have 3. We do have 1 crook neck squash too. The cucumbers are blooming, but so far they are over shadowed by the zucchini plants.
This is actually my 2nd picking of green beans. Not bad for a 5 foot row. Green bean/sausage/potatoe soup for dinner tonight. Yum.
Look at my onions (and volunteer tomato and weeks) and below- the uninvited guests to the bean patch. The kids love to play with slugs. Ellie even holds them. These mama's and papa's got salted before they could escape to do what ever slugs do.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

TGS said...

I can't believe your onions are that huge!! I just pulled mine today and they are SAD!

James and Jessi McCalvy said...

slugs. yuck!