Saturday, March 19, 2011

A perfect day

All 14 of our grand children!

One of our favorite activities is to plan a family ski day. This year we were lucky to plan for the Saturday after Gil's birthday, so it became a birthday party too. We took the motor home up - which is a perfect place for the little ones and non-skiers to hang out and for the skiers to home out of. Ellie has a aversion to the cold, so we were thrilled that she decided to spend an hour playing in the snow. Next year, she won't want to be left out, but this year - she prefers to play inside.
Christy taking a break up in the bed. She didn't stay up there long. Too much going on around her.
-Below is Aspen coming in for lunch. She was too tired to even walk up the flats. Uncle Kurt came out to help drag in the sleepy head. It was incredibly cute when later in the evening Aspen crawled up into the top bunk, closed the curtains and actually went to sleep.
Emma and Kristen decided to join Aspen for a nap on the snow- then Aspen started giggling and went in for lunch.
When the Star Simpson's arrived (In Walter the Winnebago) the picture taking started. It was a treat for Zoe to show her mom how well she can ski. She is terrific and has started to go into places I won't ski.

Sorry this next group of photo's didn't get tweaked.
Jed helping Maria adjust her boots to ski's. What a great sport Jed is- his knee is healing- he loves to ski- he wants to ski the rest of his life, so he is taking the rest of this winter off for healing. Meanwhile, he drives his family up the mountain and nurtures the good times for everyone.
Jake, Tyler and Christy. Jake loves to ski- especially with his dad, Opa and new favorite, Aunt Kristen. He wasn't very happy to get photo's taken, but oh well.
Davis kids - Ellie let us put her coat and boots on just for the photos. She loves to say "cheese" Bree skied with Opa until she couldn't hold herself up any more and had to take a nap. McKayla and Carter stayed til the beautiful end.

I didn't get Jed's family- Although Hannah and Stella are here in this photo. I didn't even see Hallie long enough to wave at before she was off with friends and cousins. Tucker wasn't feeling well, but he couldn't stand not skiing - so he took at least one run with his mom and Zoe.
You can't tell it, but this is the kids most favorite place to ski. The JUMP trail. A very bumpy section - like a mini roller coaster. Great for 6 year olds and up- not fun for those that don't like icy bumpy narrow paths.
Carter was laying on the snow - his head hurt, his leg hurt- but when given the chance to go home... No way! Just look at the smile he found. He didn't even complain the whole rest of the evening.
This is how Tyler takes a break
The joy of skiing with Stella gets him up and going again.
After the last run of the day, these 4 got some hot chocolate and bedded down for the ride home.
"Just another cruddy ski day" Lets go again!

There is something about being up the mountain that brings a sweetness and healing to my soul. We had snow and sunshine, more snow and more sunshine. Looking around at the incredible beauty - being able to look down into the valley and at night to see the kazillion lights - to breathe the cold crisp clean air - just brings me great joy. It's not the physical skiing - that's still a struggle for me- it's being there, with my family - soaking up the love and beauty around me. I find my self singing the Carpenter song "I'm at the top of the world and
Such a feelin's comin' over me
There is wonder in most every thing I see
Not a cloud in the sky, got the sun in my eyes
And I won't be surprised if it's a dream

Everything I want the world to be
Is now comin' true especially for me
And the reason is clear, it's because you are here
You're the nearest thing to Heaven that I've seen

I'm on the top of the world lookin' down on creation
And the only explanation I can find
Is the love that I've found ever since you've been around
Your love's put me at the top of the world"

So I feel incredibly Thankful after days or evenings like this. Because It's really our Savior and Creator that has made this world and we feel His love, which feels our souls with JOY and makes life so sweet.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Ooh, I *love* that song.

That looks like such a fun day!