Friday, November 8, 2019

Nov 8, 2019

I am thankful today for Mary Stallings who writes a Facebook "Come Follow Me Daily" post.  She is in Kim's ward, and it was Kim who told me about her.  I am so impressed because she will take a verse or a phrase from the weekly study and expound upon it with such thoughtfulness or have a story that takes my breath away because it is profound and I had read the same verse, but didn't think anything special.  By reading Mary's thoughts, I am encouraged to do more than just read the chapter, but maybe to read it verse by verse and think about how the verse can apply to me or to our life.  I also am so loving her choice of art to fit with each post.  I am grateful for the time and effort she spends and her willingness to share.  Below is yesterdays post.  My thought is Do I have a Miracle story?  Yes.  Have I shared my miracle story with my family? I think so.  Some time I'll tell you about the red measles and how my colon cancer was found and gone and how my brother Doug survived growing up.  Yes.  Miracles are part of daily life and do we thank the Lord for them?  I am thankful also for Miracles.
I had my backpack packed and was headed out the door when my religion teacher at BYU said two words:
.
“Expect miracles.”
.
The phrase hit me so hard I went back to my chair, got my notebook back out, and wrote it down at the top of the page.
Then, I promptly forgot about it.
Later that day, I was at the temple doing proxy baptisms for the dead. As I was praying, I felt prompted to ask that the people who I was doing work for would protect me that day. I have never felt prompted to do so before or since, but that day, I asked.
As I rode my bike quickly to the library to print an essay before class, I saw a car coming. But they had a stop sign, so I kept biking without stopping.
I realized too late they were turning right and were not planning on stopping.
I shut my eyes and braced for impact.
Then, suddenly, I was on the other side of the car.
The car pulled over and got out to talk, but I was in shock and just kept biking. I got to the Provo library and was shaking. As I sat there, two words came to my mind clearly:
.
Expect miracles.
It’s hard to explain. I know that someone could easily explain this miracle away—
.
but i personally know that angels were protecting me that day.
Hebrews talks a lot about the power of angels.
Elder Holland said, “Ask for angels to help us.” He said in another address, “I testify that angels are still sent to help us.”
.
I know these words are true.
Angels are nearer than we know. They are helping more than we know.
And they are ready to be dispatched to assist us.
Take Elder Holland’s challenge up today. Ask God for angels to assist you.
They are ready and willing.
Written by Mary Stallings
Art by @briankershisnik
Image may contain: 6 people

No comments: